This circle quilt is almost finished! I started quilting it last night and hopefully will get the rest done today.
I finally joined my first swap this month (the Make Mine Modern Swap) and I am so happy that I did! It's been a lot of fun so far. I did some work on my first swap item this weekend, and I love how it's coming along!
This is my first time making string blocks....albeit slightly non-traditional ones (and I refuse to paper piece them) but they are coming out great and are really fun to make! I see more of these in my future.
Well the kitchen changes are almost complete, I'm hoping to get our curtains hung this weekend so I can share some pictures with you. We've already started planning for the next project...our first floor bathroom. I'll share the "before" pictures of our bathroom soon but first I want to share what we're planning to do with the room.
We've already purchased the vanity set, toilet, towels, and bath rug, and we found some hardware and lighting that keep with the theme of sleek, clean lines for a very modern look. I can't wait to get started on this project, hopefully this weekend!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!
So soft and lovely.
Well our little cousin Abram is doing much better! He even got to come home from the hospital this week. Of course, he is without a kidney and has a long road ahead of him with chemo starting soon, but at least the surgery is behind him and the tumor that was taking up half of his abdomen has been removed! I finished his space quilt so he'd have something to snuggle with during his recovery.
See this chandelier?
I was almost the proud owner of it for $20, that is, until the store employee at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store tried to take it down for me and
my dreams the glass domes all came crashing down on us! Apparently they were not attached, and they all fell out when he lifted it up. Of course, they all fell at once in slow motion and I didn't think it would be a good idea (nor possible) to try to catch them all. Thankfully no one was hurt (other than the shattered domes and my heart), but now I can't stop thinking about that chandelier! It was so perfectly modern and would be a vast improvement compared to the one in my dining room now. Does anyone know where I could find replacement domes? I am tempted to go back and get it just in case I can find some.
I really love walking around the thrift stores around here, you never know what kind of treasures you'll find! Last night I hit the jackpot and found a few milkglass vases, brass fruit, a pretty footed bowl, and a lovely Vera Neumann scarf!
I've decided that 2011 is a good time to improve my photography skills, so I've joined the 365 Project and plan to take a picture every day this year! Here are the pictures from the first week (I do apologize that you've seen a few of these already).
This one needs to come together quickly for a little boy who loves Star Wars!
A few random thoughts on this Wednesday afternoon...
- Sometimes it's fun to just sew things together without any sort of plan. I'm not sure where I'm headed with this one but it's a good way to use up scraps.
- I started on my circle quilt last night, the colors in this one make me so happy!
- My sister bought me a little notebook for Christmas to sketch my ideas in. Usually I am too afraid to write in my notebooks for fear of making a mistake (yes I am aware of how ridiculous that makes me sound) but this time I actually started writing in it...in ink! That's progress for me. Nevermind the fact that I wrote it out on scrap paper first. The best part about my little black book...it's graph paper! Brings me back to my college days, and it's perfect for sketching quilt designs.
- I've been thinking of joining a bee or swap this year...does anyone have one to recommend? I've never joined one, but I think it would be a good way to improve my skills and make new blog friends.
- Is anyone that reads this blog from the UP/Northern WI area and interested in sewing/quilting? There have got to be a few of you I hope!
Just wanted to wish you all a happy new year!
Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2011!